Wanna install Kali Linux but don’t want to use it in a dual boot? If Yes, then you are in the right place. There is a virtual machine software namely VMware which will help you to install Kali Linux on your system without taking any resources or without dual boot.
What is VMware?
Before installing Kali Linux in VMware, we must know what is VMware. VMware is derived from the word Virtual Machine software. Virtual Machine VMware is a software that provides a platform to install multiple operating systems and application programs on a single computer by using virtual hardware ( eg RAM, CPU, Processor, etc ).
A virtual machine, usually known as a guest is created within another computing environment referred to as a “host.” Multiple virtual machines can exist within a single host at one time. A virtual machine is also known as a guest.
Before using VMware workstation for installing Kali Linux, you must know the benefits of using VMware.
- If you have less hardware ( i.e RAM, local memory, processor) on your computer and want to operate multiple operating systems simultaneously then go ahead, VMware is for you.
- Virtual machines are completely isolated from the host machine and other virtual machines. If a virtual machine crashes, all others are unaffected.
- You can access more than one operating system at a time.
- Add or remove resources easily.
- It saves costs by running multiple OS on a single machine.
- You can install/reinstall/backup/move your guest OS easily.
- Easy to manage things.
- Recovery of the Operating system is also possible ( Using VMDK data recovery tool ).
Kali Linux Download
Before installing Kali Linux on VMware, you must download the Kali Linux ISO file from its official website. On the Kali Linux official website, you can find all the latest and old version with different variants like 64-bit version, 32-bit version light version, etc.
You can download any version of Kali Linux according to your need. If you have never use Kali Linux and wanna install it for learning purpose so I recommend you download the latest version of Kali Linux ISO file in 64-bits variant.
Install Kali Linux on VMware Workstation
Kali Linux VMware Installation is a lengthy task, To make it easy to understand I have divided the whole installation process into two sub-parts.
In the first sub-part, I will tell you how to create a virtual machine and in the second one, I will show you how to install Kali Linux on VMware tool. I have also attached a screenshot of every step to make it crystal clear for you.
Step 1: Create a Virtual Machine
- First of all, Download Kali Linux ISO File.
- Download and Install VMware Workstation.
- After Installation, Open the VMware and click on ” Create a new virtual machine” Option.
- Then a new window will open, select “Installer disc image file (ISO)” and browse the ISO file of Kali Linux and press next.
- Select a Guest Operating system ( i.e Linux ) and it’s version ( i.e Ubuntu 64-bit).
- Name the Virtual Machine and browse the path where you want to install the Kali Linux.
- Specify the Virtual disk size ( 20 GB is good enough) and Select the “Store virtual disk as single file” Option.
- You can customize the processor, RAM etc by pressing “Customize Hardware” And after customization press “Finish“.
Step 2: Install Kali Linux in VMware
- Now the virtual machine is created for Installing Kali Linux on VMware tool but the work is still not completed. You have to install Kali Linux in VMware. Click on the virtual machine (i.e hackchefs) and press on “Play Virtual Machine“.
- First of all select “Install“.
- Then select the language “English”, Location “India” and Keyboard language ” American English”.Or select both of two as per your desire. It will take a few seconds.
- Now, write the hostname and press enter.
Note: Here I used hackchefsOS as hostname, but you can write whatever you want.
- Write the domain name to configure the network.
Note: Here I used hackchefs as Domain name, but you can write whatever you want.
- Now, set up the password for your Kali Linux Operating System and press enter. And again verify the password and press enter. It will take a few seconds.
- Partitioning Method: Guided – Use entire disk and press enter.
- Now, select your virtual disk to install Kali Linux and press enter.
- Partitioning schemes: All files in one partition ( recommended for new users ) and press enter.
- Now select “Finish partitioning and write changes to disk” option and press enter. And then press “Yes” to write changes on disk and press enter.
It will take 15-20 minutes( depend upon your system) for install Kali Linux on VMware.
- Use a Network Mirror: No and press enter.
- Install the GRUB boot loader to master boot record: Yes
- Select the virtual disk: /dev/sda.
- Now enter a username: root and password ( what you have set in step 6).
Enjoy the Kali Linux in VMware.
I have shown you how to install Kali Linux in VMware Workstation 12. You can also install kali in VMware workstation 15. The steps will be almost the same. You can also install Kali Linux on your mobile device if you don’t have a computer.
You can also install Kali Linux on your main system. But If you don’t have enough storage and RAM or you are using it for the first time then I recommend you to install Kali Linux on Vmware tool because it is quite difficult to operate.
So, you will not be able to do things easily as you do in windows. You will not found some software in Kali Linux as you have in windows. In some of the cases you will find an alternative but not in all cases. Kali Linux is a very powerful Operating system, mainly people use it for learning Kali Linux tools. These tools can help you with testing and ethical hacking.
I would suggest you install Kali on Vmware tools and Use the window as your main operating system.