What is VMware?
Before installing Kali Linux in VMware, we must know what is VMware. VMware is derived from the word Virtual Machine software. A Virtual Machine VMware is a software that provides a platform to install multiple operating system and application program on a single computer by using the virtual hardware ( eg RAM, CPU, Processor etc ).
A virtual machine, usually known as a guest is created within another computing environment referred as a “host.” Multiple virtual machines can exist within a single host at one time. A virtual machine is also known as a guest.
Advantages of using VMware.
- If you have less hardware ( i.e RAM, local memory, processor) in your computer and want to operate multiple operating systems simultaneously then go ahead, VMware is for you.
- Virtual machines are completely isolated from the host machine and other virtual machines. If a virtual machine crashes, all others are unaffected.
- You can access more than one operating system at a time.
- Add or remove resource easily.
- It saves cost by running multiple OS on the single machine.
- You can install/reinstall/backup/move your guest OS easily.
- Easy to manage things.
- Recovery of the Operating system is also possible ( Using VMDK data recovery tool ).
Install Kali Linux in VMware For Hacking 2017
Step 1: Create Virtual Machine
- Download Kali Linux ISO File.
- Download and Install VMware Workstation.
- After Installation, Open the VMware and click on ” Create a new virtual machine” Option.
- Then a new window will open, select “Installer disc image file (ISO)” and browse the ISO file of Kali Linux and press next.
- Select a Guest Operating system ( i.e Linux ) and it’s version ( i.e Ubuntu 64-bit).
- Name the Virtual Machine and browse the path where you want to install the Kali Linux.
- Specify the Virtual disk size ( 20 GB is good enough) and Select the “Store virtual disk as single file” Option.
- You can customize the processor, RAM etc by pressing “Customize Hardware” And after customization press “Finish“.
Step 2: Install Kali Linux in VMware
For graphical installation of Kali Linux, Click here
- Now the virtual machine for Install Kali Linux in VMware is created, and but the work is still not completed, you have to install Kali Linux in VMware. Click on the virtual machine (i.e hackchefs) and press on “Play Virtual Machine“.
- First of all select “Install“.
- Then select language “English”, Location “India” and Keyboard language ” American English”.Or select both of two as per your desire. It will take few seconds.
- Now, write the hostname and press enter.
Note: Here I used hackchefsOS as hostname, but you can write whatever you want.
- Write the domain name to configure the network.
Note: Here I used hackchefs as Domain name, but you can write whatever you want.
- Now, setup the password for your Kali Linux Operating System and press enter. And again verify the password and press enter. It will take few second.
- Partitioning Method: Guided – Use entire disk and press enter.
- Now, select your virtual disk to install Kali Linux and press enter.
- Partitioning schemes: All files in one partition ( recommended for new users ) and press enter.
- Now select “Finish partitioning and write changes to disk” option and press enter. And then press “Yes” to write changes on disk and press enter.
It will take 15-20 minutes( depend upon your system) for install Kali Linux on VMware.
- Use a Network Mirror: No and press enter.
- Install the GRUB boot loader to master boot record: Yes
- Select the virtual disk: /dev/sda.
- Now enter username: root and password ( what you have set in step 6).
Enjoy the Kali Linux in VMware.